Murrisk Abbey is beautifully situated on the shores of Clew Bay and in the shadow of the majestic Croagh Patrick. The abbey was founded about 1456 by the Augustinian friars because ‘the inhabitants of those parts have not hitherto been instructed in the faith’. The land was granted to the friars by Hugh O’Malley, a local Gaelic chieftain. The ruins consist of an L-shaped building, representing the church, sacristy and chapter room where the Friars met to discuss business and read daily the chapter of the order’s rule. The church is long and narrow, typical of Augustinian churches. There is a fine east window, with carved human heads on the wall outside. There are a number of fine windows in the south wall, which is crowned with battlements, suggesting that the building was partly fortified. The spring of an elaborate ribbed vault is all that survives today of a tower at west end of the church.
To locate Murrisk Abbey on the map, please click here.